Tonight, prepare macaroni and cheese from scratch rather than from a box. Layers of ingredients are not required for baked macaroni and cheese to be the comforting dish you crave. This homemade macaroni and cheese recipe will become a dinner staple in your home. So let’s get directly to the baked mac & cheese recipe!
How to Make Baked Mac and Cheese?
If you’ve never made homemade macaroni and cheese before, the process can appear daunting. But don’t worry, we’ll take it step-by-step!
- Preparation – 15 Mins
- Cook: 35 mins
- Total: 50 mins
- 1 lb. macaroni
- 4 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 c. Colby jack-cheddar blend
- 3 large eggs
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 2 cups whole milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and butter or cooking spray a large, deep baking dish.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions in a large pot of boiling salted water until just al dente. Set aside after draining and rinsing with cold water.
- Half of the macaroni mixture should be placed in the prepared baking dish. Top with another layer of pasta and a layer of Colby-cheddar cheese blend.
- Combine milk & eggs in a medium bowl and pour evenly over the pasta.
- Bake the dish covered with aluminum foil for 25 to 35 minutes. Do not overbake! It may be slightly jiggly when removed from the oven.
- Start the oven’s broiler. Add the remaining cheddar cheese on top. And broil until golden brown! It will solidify as it cools.
Tips For Baked Mac And Cheese:
- Reduce the time you normally use to cook pasta. Since the oven will keep cooking the pasta, it should be served al dente to avoid it becoming mushy.
- Once the milk has been added to the pan, it must be constantly stirred. The white sauce will curdle if you let the pan get too hot or if you walk away from it for even a minute.
- If you’re going to make baked macaroni and cheese, use high-quality cheese. Pre-shredded, bagged cheeses should be avoided due to their cellulose content.
- If you want your baked macaroni and cheese to taste and feel its best, it’s important to use two different kinds of cheese.
- Pasta and cheese sauce can be prepared ahead of time if cooled, covered, and refrigerated until ready to bake. Two days at the most. Put in the oven and cook until bubbling and hot all the way through.
How to Store Leftover Baked Mac and Cheese?
Allow the leftovers to cool completely. Then, place it in an airtight container & place in fridge for up to four days.
Reheat the homemade macaroni and cheese in the microwave or oven. If you are concerned about it drying out during reheating, add a tablespoon or two of milk.
If you don’t plan to consume homemade mac and cheese within four days, you can freeze it. Transfer your leftovers to serving-size freezer bags with zip-top closures. Wrap each bag in aluminum foil and freeze them flat for up to six months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
This was all about hot make baked Mac & Cheese. This is a wonderful side dish that the whole family will enjoy or a fun casserole to bring to the next potluck. So take some time & make this easy peasy Mac and Cheese.
Thank you for reading!