Black bean soup, especially when it’s hot and spicy, never fails to satisfy. As a vegetarian option, this black bean soup is superb. Savory and spicy flavors are layered in this dish, which comes together quickly (in under 45 minutes). Make a big pot of this soup on the weekend or on a weeknight to feed a family or use it for lunch.
You probably already have many of the ingredients on hand to make this soup. However, putting canned vegetables to good use has never been easier! So why not make one?
Here is the full Black Bean Soup Recipe!
Black Bean Soup Recipe
A hearty and nutritious soup using ingredients you probably already have on hand, including canned black beans. Vegetarians, vegans, and those avoiding gluten can all enjoy this hearty black bean soup.
Here is the whole recipe.
- Preparation – 10 Mins
- Cook: 35 mins
- Total: 45 mins
- 60 oz (4 cans) black beans
- 32 oz vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Warm the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the red pepper, onion, carrot, and celery.
- Cook for approximately 5 minutes, occasionally stirring, until the vegetables are tender. Cook the garlic for two minutes after its addition.
- Combine the black beans, vegetable broth, cumin, oregano, bay leaf, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl. Reduce the heat to low and leave the soup to simmer for 25 minutes.
- Take out the bay leaf. To make the soup thicker, you can use an immersion blender to purée a small amount of it, but be careful not to blend it completely.
- The soup can be blended in batches in a regular blender if an immersion blender is unavailable. Put the puree back into the soup and bring it back to a simmer.
- Add the cilantro and also lime juice and stir to combine. Spoon the hot soup into bowls and top with whatever you like.
- And Taste It!
How to Store Leftover Black Bean Soup Recipe:
Soup made with black beans can be stored in the fridge for up to five days. Even better, black bean soup freezes well. Soup can be frozen for up to two months if it is stored in a freezer-safe container or bag at room temperature. Make sure you identify the soup by labeling it with the date you made it.
Tips For Black Bean Soup:
- Take out the bay leaf and puree a small amount of the soup using an immersion blender. Adding this makes it more substantial.
- Cover with a dish towel, but make sure to leave the hole in the lid open so that steam can escape.
- You can thin out thick soup by adding more broth. You can make the soup thicker by blending or processing some of it.
What to Serve With Black Bean Soup Recipe?
Do not overlook this simple black bean soup recipe! It is a delish vegetarian dish that is layered with savory and spicy flavors and is quite filling.
We hope you like the recipe. Let us know your thoughts & suggestions in the comments below!
Thank you for reading!